The Church Council of the Parish of St Laurence’s MSG hereby adopts the following policy for safeguarding children, young people and adults in the parish who may be vulnerable, those working with them and the Church Council.
- We will maintain, in the church office, a register of all leaders and helpers of all activities authorised by
- We will maintain and store securely, in the church office, Personal Disclosure and reference form records
of all Leaders and occasional helpers with regular access to children, young people and vulnerable adults
and will undertake to exercise proper care when making appointments in accordance with our Safer
- We acknowledge that being convicted, cautioned or bound over for a criminal offence does not
automatically debar an individual from working with children, young people or vulnerable adults.
- As members of St Laurence’s Church we commit ourselves to respectful pastoral care for all members of
our community including the promotion of their inclusion and empowerment.
- We commit ourselves to providing a welcoming environment, ensuring the safeguarding of children,
young people and adults in the life of this church.
- We will provide our Leaders with appropriate resources, training and reviews in order to organise and
monitor programmes and activities across the life of our church.
- We will ensure appropriate information, including parental consent forms are recorded and maintained
and provide adequate insurance cover for Leaders, participants and third parties. However, when
unusual events are to be arranged (camps, hikes, trips etc) then the PCC must be given sufficient
information, including appropriate risk assessments, for them to be satisfied that everyone involved is
adequately supervised and protected.
- We commit ourselves to promoting safe practice by those in positions of trust including facilitating
attendance at Safeguarding Training Modules appropriate to their role.
- We expect that each person who works with children, young people and adults who may be vulnerable
will agree to abide by the guidelines and policies established by our church.
- We will identify an independent person (details below) who is named and accessible to all in contact
with the church and who will be provided with training and support so that action can immediately be
taken by that person if Safeguarding issues are suspected or disclosed.
This statement is displayed on the noticeboard within the school community room to ensure parishioners have access to the relevant documents. It will be reviewed by PCC annually in February.
Download the Safeguarding-Policy-Durham-Diocese.pdf
Safeguarding Officer Mrs Judy Trewhitt
Contact the church office: 01325 332017